An aspiring data scientist from Thessaloniki, Greece, currently doing a Marie Curie secondment at the R&D department of Telefonica in Barcelona, while also working as a research assistant for the OSWINDS research group of the Computer Science department of Aristotle University in Thessaloniki. Additionally, I am finishing a Master of Science in Information Systems, specializing on Data Science and Software Technologies, at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. My current professional pursuits include Text Mining, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing. Finally, I am an amateur front-end web developer.
Marie Curie secondment for the ENCASE European Research Programme. The secondment includes various research tasks, as listed below:
- The detection of inappropriate speech and behaviour on social networks, using deep neural networks.
- The detection of controversy in online content, using deep neural networks and traditional bayesian models.
- A quantitative and qualitative analysis on the dissemination of fake news between social media platforms and the crowdsourcing of a big hate-annotated dataset.
As a member of the OSWINDS Research Group, I have participated in a number of research projects as listed below:
- Crowdsourcing opinions related to match fixing in Social Media and handling of the new knowledge, for the Erasmus+ european Research Programme, Fix the Fixing.
My tasks for the work package included the project management, the collection, preprocessing and analysis of the data (both statistical and sentiment analysis), development of a data visualization web platform for the presentation of the results and some dissemination of the deliverables.
- Studying the impact of external resources on Twitter Information Diffusion process, in collaboration with Zayed University, Dubai.
- Outgoing fellowship with Telefonica, Spain, for the ENCASE European Research Programme.
SheSharp is a technological community based on Thessaloniki, which aims on promoting the engagement of women with computer-oriented technologies. To achieve our goal, we organize workshops and events, while we also work on some hands-on projects.
I am one of the founding members of this team. My main responsibilities include the Community Management, the development of our website and some other projects and the management of the team's Social Media. Other than that, I was also involved in the planning and running of most of our workshops and I have participated in most PR activities for the needs of the community - such as appearing on TV and radio, having booths at technological events, collaborations with many other local teams etc.
Collection and clustering of geo-annotated data from FlickR, in order to discover and study underlying patterns.
- Perform social media mining regarding match fixing cases
- Enable automatic data visualization of the results
- Build a tool for sentiment analysis of short resumermal texts
- Develop a web platform for the presentation of the results
Python Gephi PyGithubAnalysis of the programming languages used in GitHub and how they are connected to each other, based on their co-occurence on user profiles. More particularly, creation of language graphs used by the main GitHub community and some sub-communities discriminated by location and network analysis.
- Koursoumis, Gkatzou, Founta et al. “Learning to Case-tag Modern Greek Text”. Proceedings of the 7th Hellenic Conference on Artificial Intelligence – SETN 2012. Hellenic Artificial Intelligence Society (EETN), Lamia, 28-31 May 2012.
- Founta, A.M., Hacid, H., Vakali, A., "A Cascade-Driven Approach Towards the Understanding of External Influence on Information Diffusion", womENcourage 2017, ACM Celebration of Women in Computing, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, September 6-8, 2017.
Skills & Proficiency
Data Science Python Libraries
(Pandas, Scikit-learn, Keras)
(Collection, Management & Preprocessing)
Statistical Data Analysis
Front-end Web Development (HTML5, CSS3, JS, Bootstrap)
I was awarded a scholarship for the presentation of a poster at the womENcourage 2017 scientific event. The scholarship included registration to the conference, ACM membership and a set amount to assist with other expenses. In order to receive the award, I had to to carry out a few hours of volunteer work by assisting the social media presence of the womENcourage event.
The scholarship was given to me as I ranked first between the students of the Postgraduate Studies Programme of the Informatics Department, AUTh. My responsibilities included being an assistant of the Web Information Systems course as well as the Operating Systems course of the Undergraduate Studies Programme of the Department. As an assistant I had to make some lectures and arrange some guest lectures and create and mark some projects for both courses.
The scholarship was given to me as I ranked first between the candidates of the Postgraduate Studies Programme of the Informatics Department, AUTh. My responsibilities included being an assistant of the Operating Systems course as well as the Web Information Systems course of the Undergraduate Studies Programme of the Department. As an assistant I had to make some lectures, create and mark projects and create numerous self-assessments to help the students better understand each lecture.